LET THE FESTIVITIES BEGIN!
Okay, don’t beat me over the head with a great big stick (as Janelle would say!) that I’m talking about festivities at such a time as this. I know, I know, I know, the Holiday festivities are behind us. The trees are beginning to bud and the bulbs are pushing their way through the earth….and I’ve never been more thrilled! Spring is such a refreshing time.
But, I still have cranberries in my freezer and I still have greek yogurt in my fridge. And I still like to experiment in my kitchen. So this morning I combined these two delightful things and added some other essential ingredients, and Lalalalala, we’ve got cake! Cake that looks like it belongs on Christmas morning… when the snow is flying…. but you know what? It tastes just as good in the middle of March, with no snow.
All it needs is a good cup of coffee.
Festive Cranberry Coffee Cake
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cup Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- In a mixer, cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat well. In a separate bowl, stir together the dry ingredients. Add alternately with the yogurt and milk. Stir in cranberries just until combined. Spread half of batter into greased 9×13 pan.
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Mix topping ingredients and sprinkle half over the batter. Spread remaining batter on top and sprinkle with topping mixture again. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool slightly. Drizzle with glaze and enjoy warm!
- Powdered sugar & milk – mix with wire whisk unto smooth.