This is my kind of ham on Easter weekend! =) Haha No really, these party sandwiches are a.m.a.z.i.n.g.
The first time I had one of these years ago, I thought my taste buds were playing tricks on me. I couldn’t get over the flavor! Cheesy ham sandwiches with a hint of sweet? How’s that supposed to go together? Yet it does. I don’t know who came up with it but its shockingly delicious. Hey, when butter is the main ingredient, how can you go wrong?
I stumbled upon a quote today that I thought was hilarious. “I read recipes like I read Science-Fiction, I get to the end and say to myself, “Well, that’ll never happen!”” -Rita Rudner =) Too many times to count, I’ve clicked on an outstanding picture of some perfect looking dish on Pinterest and upon scrolling down the long list of ingredients started losing enthusiasm. If I haven’t totally lost my desire to try it, I surely will if I see an endless list of instructions. “Well, that’ll never happen!” is going through my mind about then and I continue browsing until I find a recipe without a mile long instructions paragraph.
Let me assure you, this recipe is not one of those! Its fast and easy. And can’t fail.
(Unless you’re notorious for burning everything that sets foot in your oven! LOL.)
I took the basic sauce recipe from a friend of mine and added the onions for an extra touch which took these from simply yummy to jaw-dropping delicious! These are perfect for Sunday evening snacks, birthday parties, or picnics in the yard. You can also make them with mini dinner rolls depending on the occasion!
Poppyseed Party Sandwiches
- 10 dinner rolls
- 1/2 lb chipped ham
- 10 slices muenster or swiss cheese
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp mustard
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare sauce by placing butter, poppy seeds, brown sugar, worcestershire sauce and mustard into small sauce pan. Bring to boil. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, slice onion and place in skillet with 1 tbsp butter (or oil). Fry until almost tender.
- Assemble sandwiches with ham, cheese, and onions. Place sandwiches in 9×13 pan. Pour sauce evenly over sandwiches. Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted. Enjoy!