Sunday evening at 6 o’clock we decided to invite our good friends Mark & Crystal over for supper. They’re the most relaxing couple and Stan loves the fact that he can just “chill” with Mark in the living room while we ladies catch up on all the latest. But, what do you make when you’ve got nothing planned? Thats when this handy-dandy “White Chicken Chili” hits the spot!
Their Hudson is the perfect little buddy for Declan.
I love that we both have boys…. and that they can play together and hopefully grow up together having all sorts of fun! =)
I see Crystal’s friendship as a gift from God… You see, I’m a very relational person. People energize me. Especially sweet and fun people like Crystal. =) I’m always way too hyper when I’m with her but it’s just that my heart is happy!
Growing up in busy Lancaster County gave me lots of opportunities to immerse
myself in people… friends and strangers alike, maybe that’s part of the
reason I need people in my life so much. And then I moved to South
Dakota where everything slowed down by at least ten notches. I missed my friends. And my family. And felt like I wasn’t connecting with anybody. Starting all over at ground zero felt so
….UNTIL I opened my eyes and saw all the amazing ladies that
were around me. I started to dance. And sing.
They invited me into their homes, for tea-parties, dinners, and coffee. They
welcomed me with open arms. And it didn’t take long until they were no
longer strangers but real, true, friends. At first it felt like I had
nothing to say, no common ground to start a conversation on, but that
changed very quickly! And now I do the majority of the talking. Just like I
did in PA. Haha.
I’ve often felt condemned for how much I feel like I “need” people but I’ve
come to the conclusion that God made me that way and maybe someday He’ll
move us to an inner city or foreign land where loving people will be
As far as friends go, Stan is my main energy source and I love him to death.
He’s my very best friend on earth and I love spending as much time with him
as I can. But, for someone with my relationship capacity I think its
unreasonable and unfair to think that he has to be my only friend and
listening ear. He loves to see me laughing with friends as happy as can be.
To sum it up, I’ve discovered I’m an extrovert. I gain strength from being with people and I love it that way! =)
To all my friends and family: I LOVE YOU!
White Chicken Chili
- 1 lb cooked chicken (I used one quart jar canned chicken)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped (Opt.)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 cans (15 oz each) great northern beans (or 1 can for less beans)
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream or half & half
- fresh parsley, chopped
- (If using raw chicken, cook chicken in water first until able to pull apart.)
- Chop onion, bell peppers, and jalapeño, place in medium size sauce pan and fry with oil until almost tender.
- Add chicken broth, spices, and chopped chicken. Cook for a few minutes and simmer until a few minutes before serving.
- Just before serving, add the sour cream, heavy whipping cream, and parsley. Stir.
- Serve with shredded cheddar cheese and tortilla chips.