Declan is constantly hungry and one of the things he asks for a lot is bread with butter and honey. So we combined a few of our favorite bread/roll recipes and came up with these hearty dinner rolls. The poppy seeds give them a crunch and the sunflower seeds add some great texture. Breads and dinner rolls are one of my favorite things to bake so I’m often experimenting with new recipes and techniques.
Life has been busy. Filled with so many rich things and making the time fly! My due date is just around the corner and I’m on the countdown! Only 5 weeks to go. Yay! I couldn’t be more thrilled. The pregnancy has been going well and we’re so thankful. It has been so fun picking out all things pink and my mom-in-law is spoiling me with her talents. Just yesterday she gave me a beautiful hand-crocheted, pink blanket. Its perfect and I can’t wait to use it!
Its been so fun to get out in the garden and sunshine. I told Stan it took me one day just to un-thaw from the long winter and now I can properly soak up and enjoy every minute of warmth.
This couple right here is pretty amazing and I know I’m a day late, but I didn’t want to miss the opportunity to publicly honor my mom this Mother’s Day. I woke up Sunday morning with a lump in my throat and a wish in my heart to jump in an airplane and surprise her. If you want to know what she’s like, just read Proverbs 31 and it pretty well sums up her life. =) I am so thankful for Godly parents. I love you mom!
Hearty Dinner Rolls
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup hot water
- Combine above ingredients in an electric blender. Blend for a few seconds or until seeds are finely chopped. Set aside.
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 3 tbsp yeast
- 1 tbsp sugar
- In mixing bowl, dissolve, yeast and sugar with warm water.
- 2 cups milk
- Scald milk either in small saucepan or microwave dish.
- 8 tbsp butter, softened
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup potato flakes
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- Add butter, honey, potato flakes, and poppy seeds to hot milk. Cool for a few minutes.
- 1/4 cup ground flax seeds
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 5 cups white flour (approx.)
- To yeast mixture, add the chopped sunflower seeds/water mixture, milk mixture, and ground flax, salt, and whole wheat flour. Add white flour, one cup at a time, until forms soft dough.
- Continue kneading for 5 minutes. Place dough in greased bowl. Cover with plastic or towel. Let rise for 45-60 minutes. Punch dough down and let rise for another 45 minutes.
- Divide dough into 36 portions, shape into balls. Place on greased baking sheet and cover. Let rise for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350º. Bake for approx. 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and brush lightly with butter.
- Cool and store in airtight container!