Discovering sourdough was a very good thing. These waffles are some of our favorites! The sweetness of the pears and the crunch of the walnuts with a hint of ginger, topped with maple cream…it doesn’t get much better than this! You’ll want to give these a try.
And if you’re feeling very ambitious you can serve breakfast in bed. Not like I did or anything…just giving you that great idea! Haha.
I also wanted to give you a heads-up on this awesome cookbook that is about to be released by Cindy Mullett.
Filled with delicious, healthy recipes. Ask me how I know? Because I was one of the lucky people that got to taste test a few of them! Go here: http://www.themullettfamily.com/books/a-better-weigh-to-healthy/ to preorder your copy today!
Below is a sampling of the amazing recipes you will find in the new cookbook!
If that doesn’t make you want to order one I don’t know what will!
The recipe for the Sourdough Waffles is below. Enjoy the day!
(I revised this recipe from http://www.kingarthurflour.com)
Sourdough Walnut-Pear Waffles
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sourdough starter
- Mix well and cover with plastic wrap, set at room temperature overnight.
- 2 eggs, beaten till smooth
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 cups walnuts, chopped very fine
- 1-2 pears, pealed and grated (if you add too much pear they will be soggy)
- ground ginger to taste
- Fold in remaining ingredients. Heat waffle iron and grease. Fill with approx. 1/2 cup waffle mixture. Cook until lightly browned. Remove from iron and repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve with maple syrup and whipped cream sweetened with maple syrup. Top with thin slices of pear.