I’m a little over the top with this whole Sourdough thing but its just way too much fun! Not to mention delicious. I’m working my way through converting my yeast recipes to sourdough and we are loving the results. It’s always fun to have other people try it so I can get a second opinion and perfect my recipes. These Soft Pretzels happened to be made for a ladies coffee get together at my sisters house. Everyone seemed pretty happy with them as they were so I wanted to share it with you!
I forgot to count but I think this recipe made around 3 1/2-4 dozen and between all of us and our kids and two of the guys that stopped in, these were history in no time.
They are the perfect combination of soft and chewy. The sourdough gives it deep flavor and beautiful cracks.
You can easily freeze these and just pop them in the oven for a few minutes to warm.
NOTE: If you’d like to make these for Sunday evening, mix them up first thing in the morning (I started around 7) and then add the remaining flour and baking soda around 2ish. Continue with recipe from there!
Sourdough Soft Pretzels
- 1 full cup active sourdough starter
- 4 cups lukewarm water
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 8 cups white bread flour
- Mix ingredients until smooth in mixing bowl. Cover with towel and let sit at room temperature overnight.
- In the morning, add:
- 3 tsp baking soda and approximately 2 cups of flour.
- Knead (I used my Bosch mixing machine) for 5 minutes. Place in greased bowl and let sit for 2 hrs.
- Transfer to floured surface. Divide dough into equal size balls, according to the size of pretzel you want.
- Boil 4 cups water. Add 2 tbsp baking soda
- Dip each pretzel into soda water and sprinkle with coarse salt. Place on cookie sheet prepared with greased parchment paper. Let rise for 20-30 min.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 525º.
- Bake pretzels for 8-10 minutes. Brush with melted butter. Enjoy with your choice of cheese or honey mustard sauce.